Friday, December 25, 2009

Day One - Christmas

Hello Readers! :)

I'm sure you know this, but if you don't, my name is Mary Kay. First of all I'm a teenage girl with quite a complicated life. I was adopted when I was just a baby. My adoption story is a miracle, and a whole different story of God's grace. So first I should tell you about the whole reason for creating this blog. My dad, at the age of 69 has cancer. He developed it about a year ago, in May, right after school started. It started out as lung cancer, which scared me and my whole family. Nothing to big at first, just a couple rounds of radiation and chemo, and after that - surgery. He was in the hospital for about 5 days, then he was allowed to come home. Recovery was...not to difficult. He was back to his old self in no time. He came back to teach at my school (at this time I was in the 7th grade) and did quite well at that. Everything was going smoothly until a month before school started, then he went in for another MRI. We waited eagerly for the results. They were not what we were hoping for. He had developed liver and bone cancer. The bone cancer was in his upper and lower spine. Once again, we began the process of chemo and radiation. Everything was going just fine...but...he was slowly becoming paralyzed. He went to the hospital and a brace was put on him to relieve the pressure that the tumor was putting on his spine. And that's pretty much where I am now. Watching my dad try to recover. I don't know. He...he's changed. Not in a bad way, but I can tell that he's changed. Some times...I just have to question myself - what am I afraid of? At first I thought it was the fear of death. But then I realized we're all going to die someday. So here I sit wondering to this day, What am I afraid of?

I'm sure teens around the world struggle with many problems. These are just one of the many struggles I have to deal with, and many girls and boys have to deal with. It's also times like these when I sit and wonder - what am I complaining about? Many other people have much bigger problems than I do! It's not like I'm being deprived of my childhood, because that's not true at all.

So tell me, what do you think? Do I have a right to feel sorry for myself? Why

7 comments:

  1. First: You do have a right to feel sorry for yourself. Your parents probably feel stressed and things are complicated. While all that's happening, there's stuff at school, and maybe at church. You have a right to feel stressed.You've never asked people to pity you, and so I think you shouldn't feel guilty when you're sorry for yourself. As long as it's not causing problems in your spiritual life, it's fine to feel those things sometimes. Sometimes you can't help it.
    And second: You're right, your dad has changed. Everyone who's survived cancer has. Your father is the third person I've known, personally, to have that disease. Sometimes the change is good. Sometimes it's bad. In this case, it was good.
    Your dad was strong of faith when I met him in sixth grade, but he grew even stronger when he became my teacher again in eighth grade. It's because he went through that trial in seventh grade. He's never going to look at life or God the same way again after tangling with that kind of disease.
    You have an admirable father. I don't look up to very many people, but your dad is one of the few I do look up to.
    Well, I know this comment was long, but I hope that you liked it. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren! Loved hearing from you. Makes me feel better hearing comments from readers :) Especially this one. Facing a new day is a little easier after reading this comment...God Bless, Mary Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I was just looking around on the internet to see if I could help anyone in any way, and so I came upon your blog! Turns out, I'm a Christian too. Now, to answer your questions, "So tell me, what do you think? Do I have a right to feel sorry for myself? Why", I liked this, I'm sure it helped you to get your feelings out like this. 2nd question's answer: People hurt in many different ways... with you, its your dad. It says in the Bible (in many different ways) that we are not to feel sorry for ourselves. Don't go to an extreme and blame yourself for everything.
    Although you shouldn't look at how you contribute to problems, and to feeling sorry for yourself, don't go to an extreme. Don't feel sorry for yourself because you didn't cause your situation to happen. I had a similar situation, not as bad as yours, but with my friend and her cat... wow, i know... anyway, as you might have guessed, her cat died, and so everyday she would come up to me and complain about Twinkles(her cat) dying and why her life was bad. (she didn't used to be so negative before) I stopped being her friend because she would always complain about her imaginary "problems"! Not to go off on a tangent here, but you see, if you go to your friends and all you talk about is your problems, you eventually won't have any friends... Well, what I'm trying to say is you can go to your friends for encouragement and a hug, but just don't spend the whole time your with them talking about your own problems. Usually, you can get blessed by being a blessing to others! It's true, maybe somebody has problems, and so they go to a charity help out or be nice to their enemy (Matthew 5:44), and that person gets blessed because they are taking the focus off of themselves! It's amazing. Hope that helped and I will "stay tuned" to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You spelled yesterday wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha thanks for all your comments guys! :) I've been a little delayed lately because I've been visiting friends but now im back on track!

    ReplyDelete

b, i, a